A Blog about Finding Inspiration

"We have a wonderful world to be inspired by and each new day is like an adventure into the unknown, where things that require a second glance can be captured in time on a canvas for anyone to enjoy forever." (Louise Corke)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Visiting the Artisan Center in Walterboro SC 10 '10

CC by Steel Magnolia
I've visited South Carolina's state sponsored Artisan Center in Walterboro SC several times. It is a long drive from my home on Pawleys Island. The Center is now taking applications for the jurying-in process for artists wishing to exhibit in the coming year. I had been considering applying to this state sponsored gallery, but given the distance, I wanted wanted to review the quality and character of their exhibition before tossing my hat into the ring.The Artisan Center is fairly close to Edisto Island, so it seemed to make sense to pay it a visit while I was in the area. Unfortunately I was disappointed in what I saw. It seemed to me that there was less fine art and craft than there had been on my previous visits. And much of what was on display was geared to tourist sales. I'm not sure if this is a sign of the times, or whether it the City of Walterboro's reputation for being the murder capital of the South Carolina has discouraged artists from showing there, but I definitely won't be applying there anytime soon

No comments: